Financial Aid Steps
- Apply for Admission to Southeast Tech. You must be accepted for admission to Southeast Tech before the Financial Aid Office can award financial aid. You must also pay your $75 non-refundable deposit to be eligible.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for federal aid. There are several ways to complete the FAFSA. Make sure you use Southeast Tech’s Title IV school code – 008285. There are no fees required in the application process regardless of which method you choose. The FAFSA is the form that is used to calculate your financial aid eligibility. You may submit your FAFSA on the web at www.fafsa.gov. You will need a Personal Identification Number (PIN) for you and one for your parent before completing the FAFSA on the web. These may be applied for at www.pin.ed.gov. The Renewal FAFSA on the web is available for returning students who want to reapply for financial aid. If you are eligible to file a renewal FAFSA, email reminders will be sent to you in November and February by the Department of Education.
- Prepare to submit your application as soon as possible after your taxes have been completed. Be aware of deadlines. Some funds are limited and are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Plan to prepare your federal income tax early.
- You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) within two weeks of submitting your FAFSA. If you have not received your SAR within two weeks, check your application status at 800.433.3243. Review your SAR and if corrections need to be made, contact the financial aid office for further instructions. If there are no corrections to be made, keep the report for your records. The report is automatically transmitted electronically to Southeast Tech if you have listed the school code 008285 on the FAFSA.
- Southeast Tech may need to request additional information or forms. Make sure you respond promptly to avoid delays in receiving your financial aid. One out of three applications is selected for review by the Department of Education in a process called Verification. If your application is selected, don’t be alarmed. The process may require you to provide Southeast Tech with copies of your and your parents' tax return transcripts , W-2 forms (in some cases), and a verification worksheet. Comply with the request promptly. If selected for this process, Southeast Tech cannot award financial aid until verification is complete.
- After Southeast Tech has processed your application, you will receive award notification hat explains the financial aid for which you qualify. Review your awards carefully and make sure you understand the terms of the awards being offered. Complete the accept/decline process on STInet by following instructions included with your award notification. If you intend to take out loans, additional steps will need to be completed. Your award notification will inform you of the loans for which you qualify and the amount you are eligible to borrow.
- All borrowers attending Southeast Tech must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling online at http://www.studentloans.gov.
- If you will have excess financial aid after all your institutional costs are paid in full, you may be able to charge your books purchased at the Southeast Tech Bookstore. Review the Frequently Asked Questions page for more information about this and many other topics.
- If a student receives additional educational assistance (i.e. scholarships, Vocational Rehabilitation, Veteran’s Benefits, WIA, etc.) it is the student’s responsibility to notify the Financial Aid Office. Southeast Tech reserves the right to adjust financial aid based on award changes or additional information received by the Financial Aid Office.
General Information: 605.367.7624 • Toll Free: 800.247.0789 • 2320 N Career Ave • Sioux Falls, SD 57107