Medical billing is an essential, fast-paced part of the healthcare industry. Southeast Tech’s Certified Professional Biller certificate is five courses that get you working faster and prepare you for completing the Medical Coding Degree in the future.
Hospitals, clinics, doctor’s offices and other medical facilities in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and beyond seek your attention to detail to oversee scheduling, insurance, computerized health systems, billing and coding for reimbursement, and medical records management.
With a required 15 credit hours, STC’s Certified Professional Biller training can help you reach your goal of working in the healthcare industry. With a strong work ethic, customer service skills and a demonstrated willingness to learn, you can stay competitive within the industry and advance your career.
Job Placement Rate
Southeast Tech's Certified Professional Biller Certificate boasts a 100% job placement rate among its graduates.
Funding for this certificate may be available to individuals affected by a COVID-19 job loss.
Why Study to be a Certified Professional Biller at Southeast Tech?
STC’s faculty focus first on building your knowledge base to help you navigate a healthcare setting. The program also helps you:
Gain Science / Technology Insight: You will learn about healthcare terminology; laws governing privacy and confidentiality of patient information; acceptable billing guidelines; medical transcription; and the format of medical reports.
Enhance Your Critical Thinking Skills: You will troubleshoot medical records issues; complete accurate reporting; and apply correct records coding for visits, services and procedures performed.
Achieve Standout Professionalism: Patient care is at the center of your responsibilities. Southeast Tech helps you learn to focus on resolving conflicts, maximize work efficiency, show awareness of cultural diversity and function as a team member.
What Can you Do After Completing Program?
Career possibilities include working for hospitals, doctor’s offices, clinics, outpatient care facilities, specialized health facilities and chiropractors. While on the job, your duties might include:
- Completing insurance forms
- Intaking applications
- Filling in case histories Setting/confirming appointments
- Answering phones/emails
- Communicating with medical staff
- HCOS 101 - Introduction to Health Information Services - 3 Credit Hours
- HCOS 121 - Insurance/Billing/Coding - 3 Credit Hours
- CODE 112 - Basic CPT Coding - 3 Credit Hours
- CODE 110 - Basic ICD Coding - 3 Credit Hours
- CODE 250 - Coding/Reimbursement Revenue Cycle - 3 Credit Hours
- Complete the Southeast Tech application.
- Select "Non-Degree Seeking" when asked "What kind of student are you?"
- Once the application is submitted, an Admissions Representative will be in contact.
- Pay $75 registration fee.
- Then, the Admissions Office will complete the registration request and send you an official schedule.
Other Programs Related to Certified Biller
If you’re interested in becoming a billing specialist, you also might be interested in these other healthcare programs at Southeast Tech:
Additional Program Requirements
Southeast Technical College's Healthcare Office Specialist: Certified Professional Biller Certificate program is a Bring Your Own Laptop (BYOL) program. You may purchase a laptop on your own or from the Southeast Tech Support Center.