Students receiving benefits through the South Dakota Department of Social Services Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) may also be eligible for tuition assistance at Southeast Technical College through the SNAP Employment and Training (SNAP E&T) program.
Most of STC’s diploma, certificate and non-credit courses that can be completed in one year or less are eligible for SNAP Employment and Training. Programs and courses include:
- Allied Health, Certificate*
- Certified Nursing Assistant Course*
- Community Health Worker, Certificate
- Dental Assisting, Diploma
- Emergency Medical Technician Course*
- Licensed Practical Nursing (LPN), Diploma
- Medical Assistant, Diploma
- Medical Coding: Certified Professional Biller, Certificate
- Medical Coding: Certified Professional Coder, Certificate
- Medical Coding: Professional Services, Diploma
- Pharmacy Technician, Diploma
- Phlebotomy Technician, Certificate*
- Registered Nurse, AAS
- For current LPNs only
- Computer Support, Certificate*
- Computer Technician, Diploma
- Java Programming, Certificate
- Network Support, Certificate
- Software Support Specialist, Diploma
- Web Programming, Certificate*
*Also eligible for UpSkill funding through the South Dakota Department of Labor.
- Be an eligible SNAP recipient;
- Be a South Dakota resident; and
- Be enrolled in an approved STC course or program.
How it Works
Follow These Steps:
Select one of the approved SNAP E&T program options.
APPLY TO STCComplete the Southeast Tech application.
- For certificate options, select "Non-Degree Seeking" when asked "What kind of student are you?"
For diploma options, select "Degree Seeking" when asked "What kind of student are you?"
Apply for Federal Funding
If your program is eligible for Federal Financial Aid, you must apply and complete the FAFSA before receiving DSS funding.
Once your application has been processed, an Admissions representative and DSS will verify eligibility. Students that are not currently eligible for SNAP will be sent an application to complete. The SNAP application can also be completed online.
Southeast Technical College will complete the registration and send you a class schedule.
STC will bill DSS directly.
Work with your case managers
DSS and STC will provide case managers to ensure that participants enrolled in SNAP E&T receive the supports and services they need to successfully complete their education program and transition into employment.
The SNAP Employment and Training program funding covers Southeast Tech’s tuition and fees for approved courses and programs, including the $75 registration fee.
Additional assistance through DSS may be available to help cover education-related costs that will promote a student’s success in their program. Examples include transportation expenses, tools, uniforms, etc.